Monday, May 21, 2007

Notebooks of a Chile Verde Smuggler-quote response

Page 141:
"Peanut bag with salt next to Tomato juice plastic glass marvelous. I need a Zen quote that will slap my ears, say, Juan Boy! Something like this & blam! I am drinking tomatoes as I write."
*This quote strikes me as rediculous. I had no idea what Juan was talking about when he said this. New York City Angelic: Need a Zen Quote i thought was one of the worse stories in the book because I didnt really understnad any of it and it reminded me of the Dharma Bums. ( I didnt really enjoy that book.)

Page 144:
"Oyeme, Mamita, oyeme--now that you are gone into the deep and silent luminous fallen side of the night. Oyeme."
* Listen, mama, listen. Juan speaks to his dead mother, showing her respect by talking to her and listening to her in Spanish. He watches her signs that she sends to him. I thought that this quote seemed very sentimental and that it proved how much Juan and his mother loved each other. The family theme in this book is very strong.

No comments: