Monday, May 21, 2007

Notebooks of a Chile Verde Smuggler-quote response

Page 114:
"Ain't nothing better, than pulling over--after the pizcain Fresno, on the way to the next one in Delano. On a hot day leave the troke running, snap off a half dozen of the grower's naranjas for the sweet road ahead. Que no?"
*This quote made me laugh soo hard when i read it because it is like he is just takign a road trip and then randomly stopping on the side of the road and stealing fruit from peoples groves. The way Juan narrates this story makes him sound as if he were a truck driver however. The fact that he stops along the roadside for some home fgrown oranges is hysterical.

Page 119:
"At sixteen, at midnight they came knocking. Said my father had died of complications. My mother shuddered. Fell. Something dropped inside of her and grew above us. A tiny flame of sweetness and black. For years, in that wild shadow, she smoked and kissed a stray that crossed our window."
*The name of this story is called The Cat My Mother Cradled. It symbolizes the last sentence, which I believe to be a metaphor. Although I'm not sure what that metaphor means I figure it to be important and relate to loss and mournings of lost ones that we love.

No comments: